Alright, I’ll make this quick and easy – it is SO hard to pick a winner of a golf tournament. It’s especially hard to pick a Major winner.
But, here are my attempts:
- Rory: he’s got the length and accuracy – can hit his 3-wood where others are hitting drivers. The question to me lies in that new putter – will he have the confidence with it to make the clutch putts throughout the week?
- Sergio: GREAT ball striker, phenomenal with long irons – which he should need a few of this week. He now knows he can win a Major, so the self-doubt is gone. Again, can he get that 2nd right away? He’ll have to be clutch with the short game.
- DJ : He’s on fire in this tournament with a victory last year and a runner up in 2015. He’s longer than anyone. And he’s cooler than the other side of the pillow. He just had his second baby – maybe he’ll add his second major.
- Justin Rose: Coming off a great season last year and a strong performance at Augusta. He’s long and accurate off the tee, and he’s got a stellar short game. He’s typically very steady which will suit him well in this marathon of a tournament.
- Jason Day: It’s hard not to like this guy. He’s got game. He’s got length. And he’s always in contention.
But! The last 6 majors have been won by a first time winner. So that list looks like this:
- Rickie Fowler
- Tomas Pieters
- Justin Thomas
- Hideki Matsuyama
- Patrick Reed
But, I don’t get to pick 10 guys. I only get 1. And that one guy is Rory. The course suits him, he’s rested, and he’s ready.
Who’s your pick?